Wednesday, July 27, 2011

...Contemplating the Cruciatus Curse

I was on OKCupid for a while, a little over a year ago, and I went out with this guy, Tom. He was a little older, but I thought "What the heck." He was clever. He was interesting. He had a smooth tongue, at least over e-mail. I agreed to go for coffee.

Over coffee, Tom told me about his writing, apparently he kept a diary when he was younger. Adorable. He had been abandoned as a child, but found solace in his studies. He told me about his friends and his travels. He also listened. Tom wanted to know about where I came from, my family, what interested me, how I got my scar, everything.

So then we were dating. It was great. Tom really understood me and I him. We could finish each other's sentences and honestly, sometimes it felt like we really knew what the other was thinking. Things were great. Tom worked a lot and we were interested in similar types of work. He would run things by me, ask for notes. I didn't always agree with his work, but a job's a job and as a freelancer I reasoned that Tom had to take the work where he could get it. We were in love. We said it, one night over a magical candle lit dinner. There was talk of a ring.

Then, as if the sky opened up, everything changed.

Tom began to pick fights. He would attack me verbally. I felt like while dating he had studied me, just to look for weaknesses. I don't even want to go into details. I had a hard time saying his name for a while, let along recounting all the gorey details of the break up. Let's just say Tom was a snake. I shook his spell and realized he was not a match for me, but rather a complete opposite. He brooded all the time and his work, well his work was pure evil. I hadn't seen it before. Tom was evil! He was trying to destroy me. Fortunately I saw what was happening before it was too late.
---

A year after the relationship I thought Tom Riddle was gone, but come to find out he's still at large. Now he's listed on OKCupid as "Voldemort". I guess he was Voldemort the whole time. And that's why I write this, I guess, because I don't want others to make the same mistake I did. I know I can't protect the whole world on my own, but at least I can send out this 3 part warning:

Sometimes a ring is just a piece of a broken man's shattered soul.

Things that look too good to be true are often just that.

"I love you." ? I bet you say that to all the muggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment