Tuesday, July 5, 2011

...Leaving Bodega Bay

Alright! We're leaving Astoria! It's Fourth of July weekend. It's Friday. We're really off until Friday!?! Four straight days at the beach!

Alright! That drive was super quick! Just past Far Rockaway and here we are in Breezy Point. Who knew that this was even here? I mean, this is technically New York City!?! It's a total beach town. This is adorable.

Alright! Matt, your parents' bungalow is adorable! Little twin beds and white linen curtains. Cable, internet AND an outdoor shower!?! This is pretty much my dream beach house. Cute, small enough to maintain, nearby, quiet. Sweet!

Alright! We're all grocery shopping together. Stopped at the liquor store and buying food for the weekend. Who doesn't want to live and work with a group of friends like this!?! This is awesome. I can't wait to eat hot dogs.

Alright! With 5 people, that took like, no time to put everything away. Chores are super fast when there are so many people working together! Can you believe this weekend just came together, like, 2 weeks ago!?! Trust in the Universe!

Alright! I LOVE the ocean! We'll take a quick walk out to the beach before dinner. I mean, who wouldn't want to live like this all the time!?!

Alright! Alex and I guessed right that the birds we hear are piping plovers! We look super smart in front of Jon and Danielle and I can tell my fun fact that they're probably called piping plovers because their beaks are like pipes. They "pipe" into the sand. Am I ridiculously smart for figuring that out or what!?! Feeling like a real New Yorker!

Alright!!! There's the ocean!!! We'll just walk down the boardwalk under that wooden structure and past the birds.

Alright. The sign at the front of the structure says "Aggressive Birds".

Alright. The structure has rope on top to stop the birds from flying at you while you cross through to the beach.

Alright, alright, it's hatching season. The plovers are just defending their babies. Obviously, I'm not going to touch a hatchling, so we'll be fine.

Alright, they're really loud.

Alright, some of them are stationed next to the side of the boardwalk screaming at us.

Alright, there are a bunch of dead baby plovers right near the boardwalk.

Alright, they're hovering threateningly, staring at us, screaming.

Alright we're getting close to the end of the boardwalk.

Alright they're swooping at us.

Alright, that bird just hit Alex in the head! That bird...another one! Oh, god, I don't want to do this! I can't go back! They're really agitated. I've never been attacked by birds before! Don't they know we didn't kill those babies!?! Oh my god. Oh my God! I just got hit in the back of the head. I'm screaming. Is that going to anger them more? I got hit again! This is my nightmare! Oh my god! Oh my god!!!Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!

Alright... alright...we made it.

Alright...We're at the beach. The ocean is calm and grey. The sand is still warm. I am at the ocean! This is really lovely. Now how the fuck do we get back to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment