Wednesday, August 3, 2011

...Listening to Joseph

Hey there, my name's Joseph Scott. A couple months ago my supervisor approaches me and asks "Joseph, are you busy?" I say "No".  He says, without getting too technical, "Turn the button with your right hand." So I do.

Oh, what's that? Sure, I'll hold.

Hello? Hi there. My name's Joseph Scott. A month or two ago my boss comes to me, he says "Joseph, are you busy?" I say "No". He says "Turn the button with your left hand." Ok? I'm already turning the button with my right hand, but whatever. I do it.

What? Yeah, I'll hold.

Hi. Hello? Hi. My name's Joseph. I work in a button factory. One day, about a month ago, my boss comes to me. He says "Joe, are you busy?" Now at this point I'm busy. Ok? I've been turning a button with each hand in addition to assuring the quality of a million plus buttons a day which is the job that I was actually hired to do. Ok? But I'm a team player. I say "No." He says, get this, "Turn the button with your right foot." My right foot for Christ-- Yeah I'll hold.

Hi. My name's Joe. I work in a button factory. Two weeks ago, my boss came to me. I'm thinking this is some kind of joke at this point. Ok, sure as shit he says "Joe, are you busy?" I said "No." clearly being sarcastic. He just plows right through, "Then turn the button with your left foot." Hello? Hello!?! I'm on hold again.

Hi. My name's Joe. I got a wife and two kids and I work in a button factory. One day, my boss comes to me and says "Joe, are you busy?" I'm so sleep deprived from doing the work of 3 men 12 hours a day I said "No." He says "Turn the button with your head." Now are you listening to me? As my State Representative are you listening? With my head! Right hand, left hand, right foot, left foot, HEAD. No, I can't hold. I've been holding all my life. Do you know why I work in a button factory? It's not for my health, goddamn it. It's so my kids don't have to work in a god damned button factory--- Hello!?! Hello!?!

Hi! My name's Joe. I got a wife and two kids and I work in a button factory. One day, my boss comes to me. He says, "Joe, are  you busy?" This time I think he finally sees how much he's asked of me. How overworked I am. His tone is different, see?  He says, "Are you busy?" I say "Yes!" He says, "We're moving the factory to China. We're not going to need you anymore, man. We're shutting the whole place down." Ok,  so you tell me Representative. What am I supposed to tell my family? How am I supposed to tell my daughter that Daddy doesn't work at the button factory anymore. Daddy doesn't work anywhere anymore. This isn't some little game. It's not some fucking song. This is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment